Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Rack Pack



This Saturday I participated in Race for the Cure Cincinnati, along with 19,000 other Cincinnatians and many other around the US. I will never miss it again. Yep, that pretty much sums it up!

Walkers make their way across the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.

Walkers and runners took to the streets.

There were people shoulder to shoulder on a 5 lane street at least 1/2 mile deep.
Every. Single. One. had a signed tagged to their backs with "In memory of..." or "In celebration of..." pinned to their back. I saw one lady with 14 names.

There were all types of custom messages on the shirts of walkers and runners.

"Aunt Carol me miss you"

"I am running for my Mama! Ever single step is for you."

"My Brest Cancer Sisters"

"My Wife. My Mother. My Aunt. My sister."

I ran for: "My Grandma Stewart"



She was diagnosed when I was a very little girl. Too Little to understand at all. I never went to the hospital, I never knew of a surgery or chemo. To this day all i really remember is what I thought was a small pillow she put in one side of her bra. I remember knowing she wasn't well but she never stopped allowing me to be a spoiled little brat. I spent every day of every summer with her. Just me and her (and I am sure some imaginary friends.) And yet I never feel like it was enough time. She passed away when I was 18 of a complication from some surgery she had before I was born.

I never released how breast cancer effected so many people. I set out for just another 5K, and was speechless as I walked through the 19,000 others. I was nearly in tears at the support of families gathered in matching grab surrounding a pink shirt survivor, and so so impressed when I saw a group of about 10 twenty something boys all next to their mothers. It was amazing  standing at the ZTA tent as they placed a pink ribbon on a pink hat for each year the survivor had so far won the fight... and they almost ran out of room on the hat.  If you have never done this event, you absolutely have to get your butt outta bed next year and get walking. I promise, you will thank me.

Cheers to finding a cure!!!!!

XOXO Elle



No comments:

Post a Comment